Skip to main content

IP Config issues

More
20 years 10 months ago #122 by SmartDude
IP Config issues was created by SmartDude
Dear Frens,
Can anybody tell me what's the meaning of the things when we issue the command
C:> ipconfig /all

WE can see node type=mixed,hybrid.......

what does this node type tells us about our network. Hope u guys got it what i mean to ask u. Ur reply will be kindly appreciated.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
20 years 10 months ago #123 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic IP Config issues
Sussane,

A very good question, and one which had me looking for answers (and trying to understand them) a long time ago.

I'm seriously considering covering this topic right after im finished redoing the TCP page, which by the way will become 4-5 pages instead of one [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I need to give you a little background information before I answer your question.

In every windows network there is a 'master browser' machine. The master browser machine contains an overall scope of the network and knows which machines are on and connected to the network at any given point of time.

The roll of the master browser machine is to keep track of any machines joining or leaving the network (as the pc's are switched on or off) and let anyone who asks him, know about the network status. As each machine is switched on or off, it will send a notice to the master browser and inform it that its just joined the network or is leaving the network, and this is where the Node type field comes in to the picture.

The 'node type' field determines how the machine will notify the master browser or ask it a question.

There are 4 type of nodes:

1) b-node (broadcast) which uses broadcasts registration and resolution.

2) m-node(mixed)which uses broadcast registration and when thats successful, it will notify the master broswer about it. It also uses broadcast for name resolution and if that's unsuccessful, it will notify the master browser

3) p-node which uses point to point (direct) name registration and resolution.

4) h-node (hybrid) which uses the master browser for name resolution and registration and if this is unsuccessful, it will send the information as a broadcast.

That should give you an ideal on what the 'node type' field represents. Of course there is more to it, but since I want to keep it as simple as possible for you to understand, I'll leave it here.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 10 months ago #124 by SmartDude
Replied by SmartDude on topic IP Config issues
Thanks Chris,
But i m not still clear about Node type. On which factor does the node type depends. Could u be more clear Chris.

N Can u tell me about Hard Disk imaging like from Ghost. I don't know how to use ghost. I tried but not successful. So Chris do u mind coming up with the Hard Disk imaging paper. I think in today's world hard disk imaging means a lot ya. Hope to receive ur reply soon. Thank you.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
20 years 10 months ago #125 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic IP Config issues
Sussane,

The Node type determines how a client will perform netbios name registration and resolution.

With Windows 95,98 you are able (from what I remember) to choose what node type it will be, and this was done via the properties of the 'Client for Windows Networks' (again , from memory).

To get the picture, consider a simple windows network with 5 machines of which one is a master broswer and hold a scope of the overall network status. Each client (the other 4 pc's) will contact the 'server' if they need to contact each other or query the server for the network status.

The 'node' type determines how they will ask these questions.

It's probably hard to understand and the reason is because you really need to understand how a Windows network works in order to further understand the node type.

As I've already mentioned, there will be a page very soon to cover this topic so I ask that you bare with me [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for Ghost, I haven't really touched the latest versions. The older ones I have , version 3, 5 and ghost 2000 had a simple interface and were easy to use.
If you were unsuccessful using it to ghost an image, then I'd recommend you turn to the offical website of ghost (symantec.com). I'm sure they provide support for the product and also have a Q&A section to guide you through the process of ghosting a hard drive.

Disk Imaging is a good topic but I cannot give it high priority as there are other 'hot' topics that need to be completed before we can get into these areas.

On the other hand, we are working on a new section which George will be working on, and perhaps he might consider covering it.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds